Hope is shameless...

...it brazenly appears in the darkest and strangest places

Friday, July 25, 2003

I read the end of Jeremiah this morning about the fall of jerusalem. I noticed when Nebucanezzer's official raided the temple he not only took silver, gold and brass, but the men from the temple also. He executed them. Amoung the temple people was Zephaniah. (Jer 52:24) Realizing that Zephaniah was the fourth to last book in the old testament and several ahead of what I was reading, I was curious as to what the priest in the last moments had to say.

Zephaniah's 3 chapters are full of warning of impending doom. But at the end of the book are some of the most quoted scriptures starting in vs 8 but especially vs 16.

16 In that day it shall be said to Jerusalem: "Do not fear; Zion, let not your hands be weak. 17 The Lord your God in your midst, The Mighty One, will save; He will rejoice over you with gladness, He will quiet you with His love, He will rejoice over you with singing." 18 "I will gather those who sorrow over the appointed assembly, Who are among you, To whom its reproach is a burden. 19 Behold, at that time I will deal with all who afflict you; I will save the lame, And gather those who were driven out; I will appoint them for praise and fame In every land where they were put to shame.

What a promise! to appoint praise and fame for every "land" they were put to shame. In other verses in this passage he talks about those who know no shame., a righteous people, the remnant of Israel.